Sunday 2 September 2012

Alex Katz

The Blue Umbrella by Alex Katz
This is a pretty rubbishy photobooth picture of my bad photocopy of Alex Katz's 'The Blue Umbrella', which is a painting that I like very much. Katz's painting, specifically his portraits, appeal to me because of the happy nature of his subjects. I also like that the images are not hyper realistic, they convey much more about the individuals' personalities than a piece of photographic quality.

I really wish I could go to St Ives for this. Unfortunately Nottingham is (exactly, I checked) 327 miles away from Tate St Ives, which might explain why me and my sister got so restless during the drives to and from cornish holidays. Maybe I will have to try to somehow get down there before it closes on 23rd September when it is not quite so far away. 

Below is a mini-doc made by Tate, showing Katz's studio. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

:-)