Wednesday 23 March 2016

Candy and Andy


It's pretty hard work trying to find out about these books. I was introduced to them by a pair of twins at an exhibition of collectors held by one of my old tutors. They were exhibiting their personal collection of things that related back to twins, so obviously Candy and Andy fit well into this remit. Immediately, I fell in love with the late 1960s books. The two men generously explained what they'd managed to find out about the characters and I, enthusiastically (obviously), expressed my interest in things of this ilk. Everybody else that I was with had the standard response of complete and utter horror on seeing the uncanny dolls in their real world setting. This is partly what has prompted me to write this post, I can't be the only one who likes the style of things like this, finding them funny rather than scary.


As soon as I left the exhibition I started searching on eBay to see if there were any books lurking around online for me to snap up. Evidently there were, so I dutifully bid on whatever I could find over the next year or so. There are still a couple of books left for me to get my mits on due to hardened 'Fandersons' bidding more money than I can part with at present but I'm definitely getting there.

So, where to get information about the twins and their parents, the Bearandas. The most helpful source that I've found has been from the 'Age of Uncertainty' blog. Although there are a few other blog posts knocking around online, it seems as though Gerry Anderson's fans are either uninterested in these works or are trying to sweep them under the rug of other things from the 60s and 70s ready to be forgotten. My plan is to go through the books one by one and highlight particular things that draw my attention. The wording of the stories is also part of the fun. Mainly, I want there to be a resource online for people who are in a similar position to the one I was- incredibly intrigued but finding it difficult to gain more knowledge of the series. Hopefully I'll be putting up a post a week showing each of the four books that I've managed to collect so far, with more information as I come across it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

:-)